Baked Penne with Mushroom and Bacon
Salt and freshly grd Pepper
12oz Chopped Onions
8oz Dried Penne
1.5lb dry-cured streaky bacon, sliced and cut up small
1lb sliced chestnut mushrooms
1lb frozen whole leaf spinach, thawed and well drained
Few black pepper corns
Couple Bay Leaves
3oz Plain Flour
1tspn Dijon Mustard
2Tbsp Lemon Juice
Final Topping (Can use 8oz well flavored cheddar)
150ml Pouring Double Cream
1.5oz Grated Parmey
2oz Grated Mozzarella
* Put milk, peppercorns, bay leaves in pan. Bring slowly to just below boiling and simmer in low oven
* Just under half fill large pan with water, add salt, bring to boil add onions and pasta. Bring back to boil, simmer till al dente, rinse with cold water
* Spread bacon in roasting tin, cook in hot oven until crisp, drain off fat and keep.
* Melt butter in large pan add bacon fat and stir fry mushrooms.
* Make sauce. Melt butter, add flour and cook for few mins. Strain infused milk and add to butter/flour. Stir till thickened to thin sauce. Add mustard and lemon juice. Cool.
* Stir in onion, pasta, bacon and mushroom, pour into ovenproff oblong dish approx 30X38cm.
* Melt last of butter, toss spinach in this. Season well, put 10 piles onto dish, push down into pasta and level a bit.
* Just before cooking, season the cream, pour over dish and sprinkle with cheese.
* Cook for 30mins at 200OC till hot right through with crispy top.
* Serve with green/tomato salad, garlic bread or warm rolls.